Friday, June 11, 2010

Carried away with C's...


Inspiration on a Leash
Walking my dog this evening, my brain was stuck on C's for some reason (maybe because I'm still disappointed about the Celtic's win last night). In any case, I came up with the following list of traits that it would seem to me are critical to being a success in business (and life?..)

Climbing with the 9 C's
Contribution: Care more about helping others than achieving for yourself
Character: Commit to doing good things, and then do what you say you're going to do
Confidence: Believe in yourself, your capabilities and your intrinsic value
Credibility: Know the most about your subject matter and be the best at what you do
Charisma: Enjoy being around people and leave them feeling better about themselves
Connections: Value relationships and spend time building and preserving them
Class: Say the appropriate things at the appropriate times and avoid crudeness
Control: Have a plan amidst uncertainty and doubt
Creativity: Do things in ways that have never been done before

Deviating from the Usual "Self-Help" Mumbo Jumbo
Now I won't go so far as to say that these traits necessarily translate into climbing the career ladder. In many organizations people are promoted because they are feared. I would, however, rest my head on the pillow at night knowing that regardless of whether or not I got promoted, I fulfilled the well-known Army motto - "Be all that you can be".

What about your list - what would you add or take-away from my list (extra points if your words start with "L")...

8 comments:

  1. This is a pretty good list. I'd like to add a "C" for Consideration. Keep in mind the people and the situation around you as you look to achieve goals. Not everything is appropriate for every situation.

    There are a couple "L"s I would add as well. (I love a challenge! :-) )

    Learning: Be constantly looking for information, knowledge and skills (both in and out of work) that can help you achieve your goals.
    Liaison: On your road to success, do not build walls around your team, your department or your achievements. Regularly pursue face to face interactions with other departments and teams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron - I couldn't agree more with your additions. Constant learning is a great way to live a life, and in the world of email, nothing replaces face to face interactions.

    We're up to 10 C's and 2 L's. Hopefully we can tip the scales in favor of the home team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic post Ben. I agree that consideration should be on the list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Consistency should be on the list of c's as well.. you need to be consistent in your actions to get anywhere... Now you are going to have me thinking of L words.... hmm I might get back to you on that..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maria - you reminded me of the following quote:
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” --Aristotle

    Consistency is definitely something I struggle with. Staying on top of your game and delivering even when you don't feel very motivated is not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! I have a quote in front of me at all times because of just that, staying motivated.... Here it is: "In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently."--Tony RObbins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Ben, I really enjoyed that! I agree with your "C" list. If I were to add one, I think it would be Collaboration because no man is an island. We all need others to help us achieve our greatest success. I'm not sure about other religions, but in the Christian life, it is so important to surround yourself by others and to create a network of accountability. Often times consistency is achieved through accountability and other's encouragement. Thanks, Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about Love...as in love what you do, love others, love yourself, love life.

    ReplyDelete